Frequently Asked Questions
Is a Whisper Creek Home a Good financial investment?
Our buyers agree that a Whisper Creek home is a solid investment on many levels. These include:
High resale value
Incredible curb appeal
What if I can't visit the factory?
If you can’t visit the factory, touring a whisper creek log home in your area is the next best thing. We have show homes across the country and encourage buyers to come and experience the feeling of a Whisper Creek home for themselves. Seeing a home in person will allow you to see for yourself the quality of the log and timber components if your design incorporates them, as well as the craftsmanship.
What is the benefit of visiting the Whisper Creek manufacturing facility?
Buyers are much more savvy about buying a home than ever before. The internet has educated them in ways that at times causes more questions than answers. By allowing them to visit the production plant, they feel they are involved in the build process of their home as if it were a stick-built home onsite. Most home buyers want to be a part of the process of building their dream home. We all know that nobody watches your money better than you do. This added level of comfort is available although your home will be built to exacting specifications whether you visit our plant or not.
How do we get started if we want our next home to be a Whisper Creek Home?
Contact us either via email or phone to get started. If you have a design concept you can send it to us and we’ll give you a preliminary Home Investment Proposal. If after reviewing or revising the proposal then you will sign a contract. We provide a set of structural engineered plans specifically calculated to your build site. If you are financing your home and require engineered plans before your financing will be approved then you can put a down payment of $10,000 on your contract to get the plans you need for financing. Otherwise you will put a 50% payment down, this will secure you the next available production slot (production is limited, so on a first come first serve basis) and we will order all of the materials needed to construct your home in preparation of production. Typically production takes about 4 days but it can vary because no two build sites are the same, no two Whisper Creek homes are exactly the same.
What is included in a Whisper Creek set of plans?
WCLH provides three (3) printed copies of the plans printed. They are mailed to the customer. Our plans are designed in stages the stages and what is included in each stage or can be added if needed for your building permit are listed below;
- Cover Sheet
- Floor Plans
- Windows and Component Schedules
- Component Isometric (Hybrid & WC models ONLY)
- Up to 2 redline (change) submissions are allowed under the contract price
- Once the floor plans and elevations are correct prelim sign off is required to move into Bid set if requested or a 50% down payment to move into Finals stage.
- Cover Sheet
- Floor Plans
- Door rough openings, Windows and Component Schedules
- Railing & Wall Schedule
- *Component Isometric (Hybrid & WC models)
- Foundation & Footing Plan
- Main Floor Framing Plan
- Loft/ 2nd floor Framing Plan (for 2 story or lofted models)
- Roof Framing Plan
- Framing Details
- Finals are sent to the engineer
- Engineer checks snow load, wind shear and seismic (specific county requirements are NOT included)
- Redlines sent back from engineer
- Redlines incorporated into the plans
- Engineer stamps the set and mails out
- Additional items available for an additional fee:
- Electrical plans (not stamped by engineer or electrician) that meets 2015 International Building Code- $250
- Site Plan – $250
- ResCheck=$350-$650 depending on the size of the home
- Additional Notes & Details- Depends on how much information needs to be included (Fee must be quoted)
- *refer to shops for final exact dimensions of components
What is NOT included in your plans?
Our plans are structurally designed to 2018 IRC, and structurally engineered to the build site. If you have other local building codes that need to be followed or that will need to be incorporated into the design then the customer would be responsible for letting us know what is needed to get a permit on the plans and we can quote the additional time to add items specifically required by your local building dept if any.
What type of systems and support are available during and after the home is built?
- Local dealer & hands on WCH corporate support team
- Dedicated customer service & support
- Access to the production plant facility to follow the build process of their home
- The plant manager is always available to walk customers through the production process of their dream home
What is the biggest difference between a Whisper Creek home and other system-built homes?
- High quality materials are used
- Our standard walls consist of 2×6 framing
- 7/16” or 15/32” OSB Sheeting
- House Wrap
- Double stud 2×6 cripplers
- Insulated Headers
- Siding of your choice
- If you pick a log style of siding the home will also be stained, clear coated, and chinked in a quality controlled environment that can’t be replicated in the field
- Pride and workmanship that go into every component of your home
- The size of our components, railing & stairs make our homes stand apart from any other system built home
- Our homes have the look and feel of a traditional-built home, many incorporating beautiful log and timber accents, without the cost, time and issues that are a part of most traditional built homes
- Our homes will appraise the same as a on-site stick built home when finished
What are the benefits of a system-built home as opposed to building a custom home?
- Most can be dried in in as little as 7 to 14 days depending on the size
- Lower construction & maintenance cost
- Tighter building envelop, so more energy efficient
- Pre-fab walls arrive onsite, are set directly onto the subfloor and are assembled quickly
- A study in 2015 showed that on average there were
- 223 hours saved in erecting the home
- there was 14 cubic yards of less waste compared to traditional on-site stick framing
- 5,591 less board feet were used when compared to stick framing
- Systems built homes are also referred to as; off-site building, component framing, panelized building, panel wall systems or pre-fab walls.
- When builders are struggling to find good framers our system solves that and many others for them
- Builders can typically build at least 1-2 more homes in a year using the same overhead when they utilize a panelized building system in their process
Do all of your home packages have to incorporate logs and timbers into the design?
- No, we can do complete custom home packages based on a customers ideas
- We have very few limitations in our panelized building system
Are Whisper Creek Homes considered Pre-Fab or Prefabricated homes?
Whisper Creek Homes technically fall under the category of “Pre Fab” homes but will appraise as an on-site stick built home when completed. We are NOT a modular home. We are NOT a SIP home. We are a Panelized Home System. For over 15 years Whisper Creek has built best in class panelized building system packages. There are no other panelized building systems like Whisper Creek, and no other with the skill and experience to do projects such as a small cabin or cottage to a multi million dollar home in a resort area or commercial project like we have.
What is Perma-Chink?
All of our log and timber homes are finished with Lifeline Ultra-7 Stain and Perma-Chink Chinking. We use Perma-Chink Ultra-7 because as it states on the Perma-Chink website Lifeline Ultra-7 is the most durable exterior stain that Perma-Chink Systems has ever developed. After multiple exposure tests in harsh weather areas across the country (think snow country, the sunny southeast and extreme mountain locations), Lifeline Ultra-7 stands out as THE top-of-the-line, long-lasting finish. Lifeline Ultra-7 comes in 9 different color options, and we seal the stain with Lifeline Advance it works just like the clear-coat on your car to protect the color coat underneath. It extends the life of the finish system while adding depth and highlights to the appearance. It makes your exterior walls easier to keep clean.
For the chinking on the log and timber style home packages, we use Perma-Chink because as they cover on their website Perma-Chink Log Home Sealant has proven itself on thousands of chinked and chinkless style homes to become the most widely applied chinking in the world. In our opinion, It’s simply the best chinking by every measure: longevity, appearance, performance and ease of application.
If you need to do some maintenance on your home or want to match existing stain or chink on your Whisper Creek package give us a call or email us at email@example.com.